This homemade beef broth recipe is just as easy to make as our chicken broth recipe, but it's more complex, with a richer taste profile and is used in heavier dishes like French onion soup. It's heartiness stands up to big bold reds like merlot, cabernet sauvignon and our Profiles Four, Four Five and Five.
Here is our homemade beef broth recipe.
- 4-5 pounds of mixed beef bones*
- 1 Tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
- 8-10 C water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half – you don’t even need to pull the skin off
- 1 clove garlic (optional, or you can add more to taste) – no need to remove skin
- 1 California bay leaf
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 1-2 carrots
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot, Dutch oven or pressure cooker. In a pressure cooker, set to soup setting, or if using a stock pot or Dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Let cool slightly. Remove ingredients from broth with a slotted spoon. Strain broth through a fine sieve into large canning jars. Use immediately, store refrigerated for up to 10 days or freeze for up to three months.
*Joints and marrowy bones are best with some meat still on them.
Use code: UNBOXT for $20 off your first order
SHOP OUR WINES >>>