Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2-4 hours
- 8-10 C water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half – you don’t even need to pull the skin off
- 2-3 cloves garlic (optional, or you can add more to taste) – no need to remove skin
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- 2 California bay leaves
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
Note: Any vegetable can be added to vegetable stock. You don’t even have to have celery, carrot, bay and thyme, which are the basics of any stock. We’re going to say something revolutionary here, because that’s how we are, you don’t even have to have onion.
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot, Dutch oven or pressure cooker. In a pressure cooker, set to soup setting. If using a stock pot or Dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Let cool slightly. Remove ingredients from broth with a slotted spoon. Strain broth through a fine sieve into large canning jars. Use immediately or store refrigerated for up to 10 days.